Mold removal in Massachusetts

In order to protect your health and your family, a homeowner must be aware of potential mold in their homes. Removing mold from the home leads to better air quality which is especially important with families that have young children or the elderly, both of which may have sensitive immune systems. In order to determine if you have mold in the first place, you need to have a professional mold removal contractor inspect your home. A professional mold removal contractor is able to inspect drywall, attics, studs, attics and basements to determine if mold is present. At which point the findings are sent to an independent tester to determine if the containment needs to be addressed.

Should mold be found in your home, it is of utmost importance to remove the mold immediately in order for your family to avoid possibly health complications. During mold removal, it is important to note that if the area that is infected, is not totally quarantined off, it is possible that mold spores could become airborne and cause potential allergic reactions or even asthma attacks. The EPA, Environmental Protection Agency has strict guidelines.

Hidden Mold*

Suspicion of hidden mold

You may suspect hidden mold if a building smells moldy, but you cannot see the source, or if you know there has been water damage and residents are reporting health problems. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).

Investigating hidden mold problems

Investigating hidden mold problems may be difficult and will require caution when the investigation involves disturbing potential sites of mold growth. For example, removal of wallpaper can lead to a massive release of spores if there is mold growing on the underside of the paper. If you believe that you may have a hidden mold problem, consider hiring an experienced professional.

Cleanup and Biocides

Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced.

Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.

*Excerpt from http://www.epa.gov/mold/hiddenmold.html

| More
Home  |  FAQ's  |  Mold Services  |  Links  |  Testimonials/References  |  Portfolio  |  Glossary  |  Contact Us  |  mold feeds
2009 © Commonwealth Environmental Services Inc. Powered byGiggidyadvertising.com. All rights reserved.